Kihei Friday Town Party

This Friday, February 22nd, Kihei will be hosting the Maui Friday town party at the Azeka Shopping Center Mauka. This Friday’s town party will be celebrating the Maui Whale Festival. The town party is from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

Free entertainment will include Anthea, Kimie Miner, and Paula Fuga plus many others! Lots of activities for keiki! DJ Zeke, free face painting and balloon twisting, spider jump, plus hula hooping and bubbles! Food booths and food trucks including Smoke N Spice, Jini’s Curry, Three’s Bar & Grill, Only Ono BBQ, Ohana Burger, plus so much more! Over 45 retail vendors from the community will be on hand for those wanting to do some shopping.

Free parking available at Azeka Makai, Kihei Plaza and St. Theresa Church. This is a free family friendly event that also supports the local community.

Great Whale Count



Since 1991 the Great Whale Count happens annually at the end of February using citizen scientists.  The whale count is used as a tool to monitor changes in the whale population from year to year.

This years whale count was held Saturday February 28.  The count for 2015 was 1,488 whales.  This is up from last years total of 1,331 whales.  Of the totals, 7% were calves down 2% from last years total of 9%.  Many thanks to those citizen scientists who were out in windy and sometimes rainy weather.

Registration for next years count starts in January 2016 with the event happening on February 27, 2016.  For more information, please visit the Maui Whale Festival.